Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Bulletin Board
















I chose to capture this bulletin board because I think it is an example of what not to do. The bulletin board is pictured in my dorm and talks about recycling. I know recycling is a major problem on our campus and it is an issue that should be addressed, so I think this board could have been really effective. Unfortunately, there is a lot wrong with the board.
Looking at the five guiding principals, it is true that there is one basic idea, but the organization, legibility, visual balance, and simplicity were not strong. The very first problem that popped out to me was the use of text. The text was impossible to read from a few feet away and all of the blurps were slanted. The information was interesting, but by walking past quickly, I had no clue what it said. If anything else, the information should have at least mean mounted on another sheet of paper to emphasize the words.
The organization and visual balance of the bulletin board was disturbing. I didn't seem to feel any coherence between the pictures and there was too much space in between everything. It was really disconnected. The use of colors was also hard to handle. Three colors should be used at most, but this person used several. This was not my main problem, however. If you look at the sun, you may notice that you can barely see it. The background hid the face.
All together I was disapointed with the bulletin board. It had potential to be effective, but failed in the end for many reasons.

No comments: